Sunday, May 20, 2007

Sam Tung Uk Museum




Last wednesday Hermine and I joined the American Women Association for an organized tour to Tsuen Wan/New Territories to explore a traditional Hakka walled village which has been restored in 1987 and converted into a museum. It's supposed to be a typical example of a Hakka dwelling and has managed to retain its original architectural features. It was founded by a Clan who settled in Hong Kong in the 18th century and did host around 50 people who were all related. The main economic activities back then were cutting hay and making incense powder. The most interesting thing for me to see was a ceramic pillow which people used to sleep on in former times - imagine the comfort level :-(
By the way, my friend and I were approached by a chinese couple from the Mainland who asked us with various gestures whether we would be willing to pose for pictures with them since they never had seen anyone with blonde hair and no woman as tall as me - at least I got a fun shot too out of it, so it pays off to stand out sometimes ;-)