Thursday, December 13, 2007

simply hysterical!

Hey there, I am just returning from my usual English Conversation class which takes place on thursdays. Shortly before walking up to the classroom some of my students approached me to ask whether we could skip the lesson in favour of listening to a pop-concert which would take place during lunch break, of course I agreed. Obviously this event is held 3 times a year and the performers are either teachers or students - what struck me most was the unimaginable noise level in the assembly hall - you have to know, that during last year's Eric Clapton concert for example, all the Chinese in the auditorium of Asia-World-Arena (14.000) didn't even move their little finger to swing along, making the event a rather stiff one - but as soon as some students or teachers are singing along some schmaltzy popsongs they get showered with flowers and the teenage crowd went bonkers. A couple of hundred girls were screaming and waving their glow sticks (provided by teachers at the entrance) which at times made it hard to even hear one word of the songs and after a guy who was invitated from another college took the stage and sang a love duet with one of the form five students, I thought some would loose consciousness, it felt like being in an inferno and I really wonder "where does all this enthusiasm go over the years" between being a teenager and adulthood since it obviously seems to have left the adults during most concerts I attended here. Another funny incident was the fact, that my students were pretty upset when the two on stage started holding hands, they couldn't get over it and told me they considered this gesture as being completely unnecessary - the kids here are so unbelievable well behaved and innocent, it's impossible to compare them to our super brats in Europe around this age (14-16). Anyway, was another fun experience and something to think about.

No comments: